We’re sure that as a beauty lover, your collection includes beauty products you use daily to moisturise, cleanse, and style your hair and skin. Do you know what those products contain? Do you know how some of those products can affect your health and environment? In this Salon Trusted blog, you will learn which harmful ingredients to look for in beauty products. We’ll help you understand how to choose natural and organic beauty products and list how beneficial they are for you. We will also give some of our recommendations for natural and organic, and sulphate-free beauty products available on Salon Trusted.
Common Harmful Ingredients in Beauty Products
Over the years, a huge number of conventional beauty products have been identified with traces of harmful ingredients. These can have adverse effects on your health as well as the planet.
Here are a few of them:
These preservatives prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi in cosmetics. But they disrupt your hormonal balance. These have also been linked to reproductive issues and breast cancer.
These detergents create foam and remove dirt and oil from your hair and skin. But they also wash away natural oils and moisture from your hair and skin. These may cause inflammation, irritation, and dryness.
These plasticisers turn products durable and flexible. But they leach onto the body and interfere with your endocrine system, negatively impacting your hormonal balance. These have also been linked to obesity, diabetes, birth defects, and infertility.
- Synthetic Fragrances
These artificial scents mask other ingredients to add a pleasant aroma to products. But they may contain numerous chemicals that may trigger asthma, headaches, allergies, nausea, and hormonal imbalance.
This preservative prevents microbes from growing in cosmetics. But it can release a gas which causes irritation on the skin, eyes, nose, and throat. It is also a known carcinogen.
How to Choose Natural and Organic Beauty Products
With numerous beauty products falsifying information about being natural and organic, it is crucial to know how to choose the truly natural and organic ones. In recent years, some brands have been greenwashing their products as a marketing gimmick. So, here are a few tips to distinguish real natural and organic beauty products from fake ones:
- Look for Certifications
Certifications are third-party seals of approval that verify that a product meets certain standards of quality, safety, purity, sustainability, or ethics. Some of the most common certifications for natural and organic beauty products are:
- Soil Association – UK’s leading organic certification body
- COSMOS – An international standard for organic and natural cosmetics
- ECOCERT – A French certification body for organic agriculture and cosmetics
- Leaping Bunny – An international certification program for cruelty-free cosmetics
- Vegan Society – A UK-based charity promoting veganism and certifying vegan products. Browse through vegan products on Salon Trusted.
- Read All the Ingredients
The ingredients list is the best way to know what’s actually in a product. It shows the ingredients in descending order of concentration, from highest to lowest. Look for harmful ingredients mentioned earlier. Natural and organic products usually contain natural and organic ingredients. These include shea butter, coconut oil, aloe vera, glycerin, tea tree oil, witch hazel, clay, or apple cider vinegar. Some natural ingredients may be listed by their scientific names, for example, baking soda may be listed as sodium bicarbonate. So, don’t shy from researching all the ingredients online on resources such as INCIDecoder and EWG’s Skin Deep Database. Bookmark these pages for the future!
Benefits of Natural and Organic Beauty Products
Simply, natural and organic beauty products are made using ingredients that come from natural sources such as plants, animals, or minerals. They are free of additives and synthetic chemicals that may harm your health or the planet.
Here are a few benefits of using natural and organic beauty products:
- They are safer and gentler for your body, skin, and hair. They do not contain irritating or harsh substances that cause allergy, damage or inflammation. Additionally, they nourish you with minerals, antioxidants, vitamins, and natural oils.
- They are better for the environment. They do not pollute the soil or water with toxic chemicals that harm ecosystems and wildlife. They are compostable or biodegradable. Additionally, they almost always come in recyclable or reusable packaging.
- They are ethical and humane. These are not tested on animals or contain animal-derived ingredients. They respect the rights and welfare of animals and humans alike. These products often support fair trade practices, empowering workers and farmers.
Beauty Products on Salon Trusted Free from Alcohol, Sulphate, Paraben, Gluten, and Cruelty
Here are a few brands on Salon Trusted that have products free from alcohol, sulphate and paraben, and may also be gluten-free and cruelty-free:
- Color Wow products
- Cuccio products
- Fanola products
- Foamie products
- He-Shi products
- Hive products
- Infuse My Color products
- Insight products
- Leyton House products
- L’Oréal Professionnel Mythic Oil products
- Mad Beauty products
- Matrix Biolage products
- Native British Barbers products
- Shampooheads products
- The Eyelash Emporium Pro products
- The Hair Movement products
Using natural and organic beauty products is always great and beneficial for your health and our planet. By actively and decisively choosing these products over conventional beauty products, all of us can positively impact humanity and the earth. So next time, make an informed decision and shop for natural and organic beauty products. Consider going natural!